The button to access the application form is at the bottom of this page, but before applying, please read these instructions carefully.
Who is eligible for the prize?
The Data Journalism Awards are given for outstanding work in the field of data journalism in any media worldwide. They reward outstanding examples of data driven investigations, data driven applications and storytelling with data visualisation, which cover matters relevant to society and aim to have results or an impact at a societal level.
- Media companies, non-profit organisations and freelancers or individuals are all eligible for the Data Journalism Awards.
- Works produced by individuals or teams of staffers from media companies and non-profit organisations, as well as freelancers or individuals are all eligible for entry.
- Works that are the result of a collaboration between organisations may also be submitted.
- Those works produced by staffers or freelancers collaborating with government agencies, business or trade organisations with a stake (financial or of other nature) in the issue at hand are not eligible.
- Works that include significant input from the members of the jury will not be accepted for entry into the competition.
The DJA administrators have the final authority to determine whether an entry is eligible or not.
- Entries may be submitted between 14 December 2012 and 5 April 2013. The deadline for entries is 5 April 2013 at 23h59 GMT.
- All work must have been published or aired between 10 April 2012 and 5 April 2013.
- All submissions must be in English. Entries in languages other than English will be accepted provided that they are accompanied by translations of the work. Words included in graphics, databases and applications must also be translated. Radio material must be transcribed in English and video material must contain English subtitles. If a work originally published in a language other than English passes the pre-jury selection stage, applicants may be asked to provide additional information and translations.
- Entries are allowed to have been published on any other media platform: online, radio, audio, broadcast, print or a combination of platforms.
- Entries are allowed to be an individual work or a series of works.
- There is no limit to the amount of entries that can be submitted by one applicant. Applicants may submit the same entry to several categories.
- There are no submission fees, however translation costs may be incurred for works published in languages other than English, which will need to be covered by the applicant.
Participants may apply via the online entry form
. There are six steps that all entrants must follow in the application process:
- Create an account on our form management tool. With this account, you will be able to save your submission as a draft, and edit it as many times as you wish, before you finally submit your entry. Please be aware that after submitting your entry, you not be able to edit or amend it anymore.
- You must agree to the Data Journalism Awards Copyright and Terms of Service.
- You must provide the personal information of the person who will be our contact for the awards.
- You must provide the composition of your team.
- You must provide information about your entry, upload a screenshot of the entry and a link to the entry online. Please pay extra attention to the picture you will provide us as a screenshot of your entry: this picture will be used to display your entry online on our website.
- You must inform us if you are interested to receive the GEN updates on innovation in media and journalism.