The first World Cup of Newsroom Innovation
The GEN Editors Lab programme is a unique and growing initiative consisting of a worldwide series of Hackdays hosted by some of the leading newsrooms. The first edition was a phenomenalsuccess with over 80 participating teams, a number set to grow considerably throughout the upcoming campaign with 20 national Hackdays leading to the grand final Hackathon at the GEN Summit in June, 2014 in Barcelona. Directly addressing the need for more collaborative innovation in newsrooms, the Editors Lab balances facilitating the generation of new ideas while providing ‘best practice’ mentoring from industry leaders that puts this GEN programme at the pinnacle of essential initiatives for newsroom progression.
THE EDITORS LAB 2013-2014 WILL FIRST VISIT…
- CLARIN, BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA, on the 27th of August 2013
- MEDIA 24, CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA, on the 6th and 7th of September 2013
- THE GUARDIAN, LONDON, U.K. on the 26th and 27th of September 2013
- GRUPPO L'ESPRESSO, ROME, ITALY, on the 5th and 6th of October 2013
- LE PARISIEN, PARIS, FRANCE on the 10th and 11th of October 2013
- YAHOO!, SUNNYVALE, U.S. on the 2nd and 3rd of November 2013
- RIA NOVOSTI, MOSCOW, RUSSIA on the 10th and 11th of November 2013
- VRT, BRUSSELS, BELGIUM on the 9th and 10th of December 2013
- EL PAIS, MADRID, SPAIN on the 10th and 11th of January 2014 (dates TBC)
|Revolutionary hackdays: how they work|
1/ We gather newsroom teams of innovators which include:
• An editor and/or journalist
• A developer
• A graphic designer
Between 8 to 12 media teams compete during the two days of each Hackday. The topic/theme of the Hackdays are defined in coordination with the host and our partners. We can work with our partners to shape Hackday themes to maximize relevance and impact.
2/ A mix of working sessions and practical Masterclasses:
Two one hour Masterclasses are set up during the Hackdays to help the teams develop their innovative journalistic tools and applications and gain invaluable learning around ‘best practice’ on the particular Hackday theme.
3/ All national Hackday winners battle it out at the Final Hackathon during the GEN Summit 2014:
The winning team from each national Hackday selected by a jury of 3 members is invited to the final internationalHackathon to be held in Barcelona during the GEN Summit 2014. The final will gather the national Hackday winners from the five continents to battle it out live over the two days of the summit, June 11 – 13, 2014.
If you wish to participate or host an Editors' Lab workshop in your newsroom, don't hesitate to contact the Editors' Lab Director: