The Editors’ Lab is a worldwide series of hackdays hosted by some of the leading newsrooms in the world, concluded by an international two-day Hackathon at the GEN News Summit 2013 which will gather the best teams of each Editors' Lab stop. It's the first international hacking league for journalists! The Editors' Lab hackdays have already stopped at the newsrooms of Clarin, Le Nouvel Observateur, Russmedia Digital, The New York Times, Egypt Media Development Program, India Today, and are on their way to NOS, Zeit Online, France Télévisions, The Guardian, La Repubblica, Le Parisien!
Newsrooms must systematize a new kind of innovation process in order to pitch new apps, interactive content, data visualization, and newsgaming projects. Newsrooms need to be in permanent BETA mode!
The structure of each Editors' Lab hackday is as follows:
- one topic (newsgaming, geolocalization, drone journalism, fact-checking, the animated GIF, development journalism, new storytelling…)
- one famous newsroom hosting the event
- 8 to 15 multidisciplinary teams (a journalist, a developper and a graphic designer, who are employed by the same media)
- 2 days to develop the best journalistic tool concept based off the chosen theme
At the end of the second day, all the teams present their projects during an open conference and cocktail. A jury of experts selects the best project, and the team is invited to the Editors' Lab final stage – an international hackathon at the GEN News Summit 2013 in Paris.
Upcoming Editors' Lab hackdays before the GEN News Summit in Paris, in June 2013:
- 21 – 22 May, Editors' Lab Amsterdam, The Netherlands, hosted by NOS. Topic: New Journalistic Tools for reaching young users.
- 6 – 7 June, Editors' Lab Berlin, Germany, hosted by Zeit Online.
- 7 – 8 June, Editors' Lab Paris, France, hosted by France Télévisions.
- 19-21 June 2013, The final Editors' Lab competition: The GEN News Hackathon at the GEN News Summit in Paris, France
- 27 September 2012, Editors' Lab Buenos Aires, Argentina, hosted in Clarin's famous newsroom. Topic: data-journalism with criminal data.
- 28 – 29 November 2012, Editors' Lab Paris, France, hosted by Le Nouvel Observateur. Topic: Journalistic tools for news photos.
- 21 – 22 March, Editors' Lab Austria, hosted by Russmedia Digital in Schwarzach, Austria. Topic: Innovative migrations coverage.
- 10 – 11 April, Editors' Lab Cairo, Egypt. Topic: Egyptian elections coverage.
- 20 – 21 April, Editors' Lab New York, USA, hosted by the New York Times. Topic: Newsgaming.
- 8 – 9 May, Editors' Lab New Delhi, India, hosted by India Today. Topic: New tools to cover global development.
Afficher GEN Editors' Lab Hackdays sur une carte plus grande
If you wish to participate or host an Editors' Lab workshop in your newsroom, don't hesitate to contact the Editors' Lab Director: