9:00 a.m. : Welcome
- Welcoming of participants by El Pais and the Global Editors Network
- Presentation of the GEN Editors Lab programme rules
9:15 a.m. : Speed Geeking
The participating teams have 3 minutes to present to each other the most innovative project released by their newsrooms in the last months.
10:15 a.m. : Mar Cabra’s Workshop
11:00 a.m : Google’s Workshop given by Andres-Leonardo Martinez-Ortiz, Developer Program Manager at Google
Data analysis for muggles
No matters which background you have, during the workshop you will learn about BigQuery, one of the fancy technologies behind Google services. The tool provides a simple interface for running complex queries in plain SQL over huge datasets. Even more, you will learn how to get your data in and out of the system, composing queries, details about BigQuery API or how to use it from third-party tools. Definitively a fast track to gain insights from your analysis.
11:45 a.m. : The participants start hacking
2:00 p.m. : Lunch
5:00 p.m. : Mini pitch session
The teams will have 1 minute to :
- Announce what they are building (an app, a widget, a platform...)
- Explain why they are building it. Make clear what the specific problem is that they want to solve.
- Explain how they are going to solve it. Define the innovative solution that they will offer.
7:00 p.m. : Cocktails
9:00 a.m. : Final Hacking sprint
2:00 p.m. : Lunch
5:00 p.m. : Project submission deadline
6:00 p.m. : Pitch session at Medialab Prado
The participants will have 5 minutes to pitch their projects. The jury members have 2 minute to ask them questions.
7:00 pm : Jury’s deliberation
7:30 p.m. : Awards Ceremony. The Awards will be given by Luis Collado, Strategic Partner Development Manager at Google.