When you register, you are registering as a personal user of Global Editors Network. Access to registration areas is via your email address and password. We allow you access to the registration areas of the site on the basis that:
- your email address and password are personal to you and may not be used by anyone else to access Global Editors Network
- you will not do anything which would assist anyone who is not a registered user to gain access to any registration area of Global Editors Network
- you do not maliciously create additional registration accounts for the purpose of abusing the functionality of the site, or other users; nor do you seek to pass yourself off as another user
2. Termination of registration
If we wish to bring the agreement to an end, we will do so by emailing you at the address you have registered stating that the agreement has terminated. The agreement will terminate and your email address and password will become invalid on Global Editors Network immediately.
3. Cancellation of registration
In case you would cancel your registration to GEN or any GEN activities, including the annual NEWS! Conference, the conditions are :
- 50% will be refunded if cancellation is made at least six weeks before the event is due to start.
- 25%, if cancellation is made between six and three weeks before the event is due to start
- no refund will be possible if cancellation happens during the last three weeks before the event is due to start. Nevertheless, sending just a notification, any registered participant can always withdraw from any event in favour of any one he would named to benefit of its registration. The registered participant can also choose to postpone its registration and credit the amount he already paid for any other GEN activity.
4. Use of material appearing on Global Editors Network
For the purposes of this agreement, "material" means material including, without limitation, text, video, graphics and sound material, published on the Global Editors Network, whether copyright of Global Editors Network or a third party. You may download and print extracts from the material and make copies of these for your own personal and non-commercial use only. You are not allowed to download or print the material, or extracts from it, in a systematic or regular manner or otherwise so as to create a database in electronic or paper form comprising all or part of the material appearing on Global Editors Network. You must not reproduce any part of Global Editors Network or the material or transmit it to or store it in any other website or disseminate any part of the material in any other form, unless we have indicated that you may do so. For any query, please contact us.
5. Disclaimer of liability
To the extent permitted at law, we do not accept any responsibility for any statement in the material. You must not rely on any statement we have published on Global Editors Network without first taking specialist professional advice. Nothing in the material is provided for any specific purpose or at the request of any particular person. For the avoidance of confusion, we will not be liable for any loss caused as a result of your doing, or not doing, anything as a result of viewing, reading or listening to the material or any part of it (except for death or personal injury attributable to our negligence and to the extent permitted at law). You can access other sites via links from Global Editors Network. These sites are not under our control and we are not responsible in any way for any of their contents. We give no warranties of any kind concerning Global Editors Network or the material. In particular, we do not warrant that Global Editors Network or any of its contents is virus free. You must take your own precautions in this respect as we accept no responsibility for any infection by virus or other contamination or by anything which has destructive properties.
6. Third party material on Global Editors Network
You will see advertising material submitted by third parties on Global Editors Network. Individual advertisers are solely responsible for the content of advertising material which they submit to us, including ensuring that it complies with relevant legislation. We accept no responsibility for the content of advertising material, including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. If you want to advertise on Global Editors Network, please email to contact us
7. Co-branded sites
8. Submitting text for publication on Global Editors Network
Users of our site may submit material for publication in various areas of the site. We accept no liability in respect of any material submitted by users and published by us and we are not responsible for its content and accuracy. Publication of any material you submit to us will be at our sole discretion. We reserve the right to make additions or deletions to the text or graphics prior to publication, or to refuse publication. You grant us a non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide licence to republish any material you submit to us in any format, including without limitation print and electronic format. Of course, you warrant to us that any material you submit to us is your own original work and that you own the copyright and any other relevant rights. Interactions with our site are governed by our Community Standards and Participation Guidelines which expand on the points above and are incorporated in these Terms of Service. You will be deemed to consent to these guidelines if you choose to post any content or comments to the site.
9. Data protection and the French law
For any information on data protection ruled by the French law (GEN is a French association), go to http://www.cnil.fr/english/ See also the Convention for the Protection of Individuals with regard to Automatic Processing of Personal Data (Council of Europe): http://conventions.coe.int/Treaty/en/Treaties/Html/108.htm And the Directive 95/46/EC on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data: http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/information_society/l14012_en.htm
These terms may be varied from time to time. Please ensure that you review these terms and conditions regularly as you will be deemed to have accepted a variation if you continue to use the site after it has been posted. Details of variations will be posted in this section.
11. Governing law & jurisdiction
This agreement is governed by French law and the parties agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the French courts.
12. Questions and comments
- Welcome to the GEN News Summit App!Connect with your social media accounts in the "Socialize!" section to network with the other attendees and speakers! Get the best that the GEN News Summit has to offer right at your fingertips with theSummit App. Our handy app allows you to view … Continue reading → […]
- Sneak Peek Into The Reuters Digital Report 2013The Reuters Digital Report is being launched during the GEN News Summit, but before the report is available GEN is giving you an exclusive look into the new media trends for 2013. Nic Newman, author of the Reuters Digital Report, … Continue reading → […]
- Roy Sekoff: “HuffPost Live is not really a video experience at its core, it is an engagement platform.”Roy Sekoff, President and co-creator of HuffPost Live, emulates the positivity and confidence the news industry needs. Since HuffPost Live launched in August 2012, Roy has made the merger of video and social look like a breeze while its competitors … Continue reading → […]
- Pam Maples: “Don’t just tell, show.”Every year, a select number of elite media professionals throughout the world are chosen by Stanford University to join the John S. Knight Journalism Fellowships programme. During their stay in Silicon Valley, the fellows focus on driving innovation, entrepreneurship and leadership … Continue reading → […]
- Rich Cheary: “Mobile strategy is not a race anymore.”The explosion of platforms have made building news applications a challenge for publishers, who often use multiple developers and fragment their apps’ infrastructure. Yet according to Rich Cheary, Founder of Baobab Suite, the creation of mobile applications should be about … Continue reading → […]
- Shafqat Islam: “The best user experience is at the intersection of algorithms and human editors.”Aggregation is seen as a necessary evil needed to keep up with the fast-paced news cycle in the online ecosystem. Yet CEO of Newscred, Shafqat Islam, disagrees with the negative connotation that comes when algorithms and articles are mixed. In … Continue reading → […]
- Welcome to the GEN News Summit App!
TagsAmerica Elect analytics AOL Argentina content data data journalism data journalism awards data visualizations David Cohn Editors' Lab elections elections 2012 Elections _Data Elections _Graphics Elections _Maps engagement Entrepreneurial journalism Gabriel Dance GEN News Summit graphic novel Guardian US HuffPost Live Hyperlocal innovation interactive Interactive Content Interactive Editor interactive journalism Journalism Marianne Barriaux media mobile Patch.com press freedom Roy Sekoff social media Spot.us Storyful tablet The Spin Generator Twitter United States users video