Published: 15 November 2018
Start date: 14 January, 2019
Location: Paris, France
Contract type: CDI (Contrat à Durée Indéterminée / Permanent contract)
Gross (brut) monthly salary: €2,700 – €3,000
Commissions: 3% per contract (on the net revenue for the organisation)
Company: GEN Training & Consulting, subsidiary of the Global Editors Network
Founded in 2011, the Global Editors Network (GEN) is a Paris-based international association of over 6,000 editors-in-chief and media executives with the mission of fostering digital innovation in newsrooms all over the world. The organization’s annual flagship event, the GEN Summit, gathers over 850 participants from 70 countries. The Global Editors Network also runs the Data Journalism Awards, the first international awards recognising outstanding work in the field of data journalism worldwide.
Last year, the revenues from the bizdev department (GEN Summit’s booths and lounges, masterclasses, sponsoring of events, etc.) were close to 400,000 euros.
We are looking for an experienced Business Development Manager to join our growing team. The successful candidate will be the driving force behind improving the organisation’s market position and financial growth. They will define strategic business goals alongside the Chief Executive Officer, build key client relationships, identify business opportunities, and negotiate and close deals. The ideal candidate has excellent networking and communication skills, is highly organized, and is tenacious in following up on deals and contract activation.
Position reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Staff management: Yes, before and during the GEN Summit with local producers or bizdev managers
Travel requirements: not exceeding 10% during a period of six months
- Managing all commercial activities that involve partners and clients when it comes to the organisation’s programmes, initiatives, and its flagship event, the “GEN Summit”.
- Developing and coordinating new commercial projects, opportunities, and packages for a wide variety of news suppliers, publishers, associations, and NGOs.
- Writing and producing sponsorship proposals to potential clients and partners as well as drawing up formal contracts.
- Building and maintaining a strong database of leads.
- Conducting market research and identifying areas of new business within the news and media industries.
- Working closely with event producers and suppliers closer to the date of the GEN Summit 2019.
- Working closely with the Marketing Manager to implement a successful promotion strategy as well as liaising with the finance manager.
- Attend conferences, events, and workshops to network and represent the Global Editors Network.
- Three years of experience in sales, marketing, and/or business development.
- A university degree in business administration, marketing, advertising, or a closely related field. A university degree in another topic in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted.
- Experience working with Salesforce.
- A keen interest in journalism, media innovation, and/or the future of news.
Fluency in English (oral and written). Knowledge of other languages is an added advantage.
- Possess equal parts creativity, business management, project management and sales knowledge for a startup or a nonprofit.
- A strategic thinker – the ability to see opportunities for monetisation and to foresee and prevent execution issues.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and client management skills.
- Good knowledge of Salesforce, Microsoft Office Suite, as well as common project management tools.
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- A positive, solutions-oriented and success-driven attitude
- Ability to work independently with minimal work supervision.
- Ability of travel regionally and/or internationally for meetings and events.
A laptop will be provided. Office not wheelchair accessible.
Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a series of interviews and may include a functional assessment exercise.
How to apply
Please send your CV and cover letter (no more than 500 words) to jobs [at] globaleditorsnetwork [dot] com.