21 January 2014
Do you want to be recognized as the next innovator in data journalism? Are you passionate about data and news? Would you like to join us in Barcelona for the GEN Summit 2014, meet executives from prestigious newsrooms and other members of the data journalism community? Apply for the Data Journalism Awards!
For the third time, the Global Editors Network will be showcasing the most impressive work in data journalism from all over the world. Eight prizes for a total of 16,000 euros are awarded in 8 categories:
- Best story or group of stories on a single topic, online or print, in which collection and analysis of data are a leading factor.
- Best data-driven investigation, which uses data collection and analysis to disclose or spotlight a significant abuse of power or failure to uphold the public interest.
- Best journalistic data visualization (most impressive, novel, compelling display) on a single theme.
- Best data journalism application or website, in which interactivity is important and the project provides both explanation of the topic and an opportunity for users to explore the topic and create their own story.
- Best data journalism portfolio by an individual.
- Best data journalism portfolio by a team or newsroom.
- Best entry from a small newsroom, with fewer than 25 journalists, not otherwise honored in this competition.
- Jurors’ choice, an entry of high excellence not otherwise honored in this competition.
As Data Journalism is now one the most promising fields in new media, the Data Journalism Awards are a way to contribute highlighting best practices and setting high standards. It is also a wonderful opportunity to showcase your work, and network with data-journalists from everywhere, and share experiences with the data journalists community.
Your work will be reviewed by our renowned members of the jury: Paul Steiger (the President), Wolfgang Blau, Simon Rogers, Aron Pilhofer and many others (see the list here and follow them on Twitter).
This event is organized by the Global Editors Network, partnering with Google and the Knight Foundation.
You have until April 4th to submit your applications. You can see a list of past contestants and winners and more information on our website. Questions? Contact us at dja[at]globaleditorsnetwork[dot]org for more details. You can also follow the last updates on the 2014 DJA on Twitter @GENdjawards.
Apply now and bring a worldclass distinction to your newsroom in June!