Kindly note that this schedule is subject to change.
Tuesday 20 June
17:00 GEN Welcome
Welcoming of participants by the Global Editors Network
17:15 Speed Geeking
The hackathon finalists meet each other and present their winning prototypes from each regional event.
19:00 The Editors Lab finalists cocktail
Wednesday 21 June
8:45 Teams gather at Labstelle, coffee & breakfast
9:00 Lightning talks
- 9:00-9:10 Amanda Farnsworth (Editor, Visual Journalism, BBC News)
- 9:10-9:20 Dan Gillmor (Writer & Professor, Arizona State University)
- 9:20-9:30 Irshad Daftari (Fellow, International Center for Journalists)
9:30 Let the hacking begin!
17:00 Mini pitch session
The finalists will have one minute to:
- Describe the problem they are trying to solve.
- Describe their target audience.
- Announce in one sentence what they are going to prototype.
19:30 Hacking or partying — your choice!
The Editors Lab finalists can continue hacking or they can join the GEN Summit participants for the Welcome Buffet at the MAK, the Museum of Applied Arts/Contemporary Art (Stubenring 5, 1010 Wien)
Thursday 22 June
9:00 Final hacking sprint at Labstelle
15:30 Project submission deadline
16:00 Pitch session
The participants will have four minutes to pitch their projects.
19:30 Data Journalism Awards ceremony at Hofburg Palace (Michaelerkuppel, 1010 Wien)
Before the end of the evening, the Editors Lab jury will announce the names of the top three teams of the Editors Lab Final. These three teams will pitch on the main stage of the summit the next day.
Friday 23 June
9:00 The participants are free to enjoy the GEN Summit at Aula der Wissenschaften (Wollzeile 27A, 1010 Wien)
10:30 Editors Lab ceremony
- The three best teams pitch on stage.
- The winner is announced!
Enjoy the rest of the GEN Summit & evening SFN Party