Editors Lab - Al-Masry Al-Youm Hackdays
18 - 19 March 2014
Hackdays Schedule of Events
First Day 18 March
9:30 am Coffee and Welcome
- Welcoming address to the participants by the host Masry Al-Youm, EMDP and GEN.
- Presentation of the teams.
- Rules of the GEN Editors Lab programme (local Hackdays and final Hackathon)
- Presentation of the topic: 'Traffic in Cairo, rethinking ways to create up-to-date and user-friendly traffic maps and making effective use of real-time crowdsourcing in order to help drivers find the fastest routes.'
10:30 am First Masterclass
- Speaker: Ramy Kandil, Public Relations Executive in Google Egypt & North Africa.
- Topic: Mapping out your story: Mapping tools for journalists
- Format : 20 min speech. 10 min questions.
11:00 am First Working Session in Team
- Brainstorming about the topic.
- Objective: come up with several apps, digital/editorial products ideas.
1:00 pm Working Lunch
2:00 pm Second Masterclass
Speaker: Representative, Cairo Traffic Department, Ministry of the Interior (tbd)
2:45 pm Second Working Session
Each team works separately on the idea they selected and produces guidelines for several sections:
- General pitch of the app
- Technical /IT aspects
- Design/graphics aspects
- Development/production planning
4:30 pm First mini-pitch sessions/Coffee break
The teams have one minute to pitch their projects. Debrief and trouble-shooting.
5:00 pm Third Working Session
Last working sprint of the day for the teams.
6:00 pm Debriefing of the day, Cocktail / Networking
Second Day 19 March
9:00 am Coffee
9:30 First Working Session
The teams carry on the development of their prototypes and guidelines/specs.
11:30 am Debriefing of the morning session / Second Mini-Pitch Session
During 1 minute, the teams will have to :
- Announce the title of their projects
- Explain what is the problem they want to solve with their projects
- Explain how they are going to solve it
12:30 pm Working Lunch
1:30 pm Final developments, work on the presentation/pitch
- The developer works on IT / development issues and the designer must produce some finalpages (mock-up).
- The teams work on the presentation of their idea for the final conference. A powerpoint presentation of about 10 slides in length will demonstrate mockups of the app, the first designand graphic ideas, and if possible first steps for development.
4:00 pm Hackdays Final Deadline!
The teams stop the work on their projects, and must have submitted their entry online and transferred their presentation (PPT, link to demo) to the jury.
4:30 pm The Editors Lab Final Pitches
7 minute max per team. The teams will have 5 minutes to pitch their projects. 1 or 2 questions from jury. 1 minute max to answer each question.
This session will be open to media journalists and media experts or schools of journalism.
5:45 pm Hackdays Jury Deliberation
6:15 pm Winners announced! Final cocktail
The Jury announces the winning team, who will be invited to the final two-day Editors Lab Hackathon in Barcelona (June 11 — 13 2014 at the annual GEN Summit).