GEN Summit 2013 Sessions Highlights
More than 450 senior media executives attended the GEN Summit 2013. The Global Editors Network reunited a prestigious line up of keynote speakers, sessions, and innovative programmes including the Editors Lab Hackdays Final, the Data Journalism Awards, the Drone Journalism Bootcamp, ONA Workshops, the EJN conference, Startups for News and the News Expo.
The 2013 Data Journalism Awards Winners
- Le Pariteur - WeDoData (Data Driven Apps, Small)
- Connected China - Reuters (Data Journalism Website or Section)
- Children In Care - Media Wales (Data Driven Investigation, Small)
- The Great British Class Calculator - The BBC (Data Driven Apps, Big)
- Argentinian Senate's Expenses - La Nacion (Data Driven Investigation, Big)
- The Art Market For Dummies - Jean Abbiateci & Ask Media (Data Driven Storytelling, Small)
- Gay Rights By State - The Guardian US (Data Driven Storytelling, Big)
De Volkskrant won the 2013 Editors Lab Hackdays Champion Title
On 20-21 June 2013, 11 media teams from around the world gathered for the Editors Lab Hackdays Final. The teams worked to build journalistic tools around the theme of ‘rebuilding your homepage in the context of user engagement’. Ultimately, the team from De Volkskrant in the Netherlands won the competition. Congratulations to Sybren Kooistra (Data Journalist), Thijs Balder (Infographics Editor/ Visual Journalist) and Hay Kranen (Developer) for winning! Libération from France and Welad Al Balad from Egypt both received a special mention from the jury for the quality of their projects.
Here is a short presentation of last year's winning project by Volkskrant in the Netherlands: