Startups for News 2017
Startups for News is an international competition that rewards early-stage startups working on high-impact and daring solutions for the news industry. Every year, GEN, in partnership with Journalism.co.uk selects the best startups that address newsroom challenges through dynamic and innovative products or services.
The aim of Startups for News is to accelerate the development of promising, early-stage media startups through worldwide exposure, networking with senior media executives, and private mentorship from GEN’s board members.
The Global Editors Network has already run five successful Startups for News seasons and just concluded the sixth season at the GEN Summit 2017 in Vienna.
In partnership with:
And the winner is...
The winner of the 2017 Startups for News competition is the data visualisation platform Flourish, a powerful and flexible tool to quickly and efficiently produce high-quality interactive content, including data visualisations, maps and explainers. It is a solution for non-coders allowing them to produce interactive visuals, stories and interactives based on flexible templates, but also for newsroom developers, allowing them to come up with their own templates.
Runner-up Urbs Media, an editorial agency that combines human-authored data journalism with automation to deliver data-driven stories daily and on a large scale, was a strong contender and captured both jury and attendees of the GEN Summit in Vienna.
Meet our applicants for 2017!
We received almost 100 applications from over 35 countries. Know more about our applicants checking the below map:
How Does SFN Work?
- Get recognised by industry leaders and noticed by potential partners
- Network with senior media executives in a friendly atmosphere at the GEN Summit and benefit from their feedback, insights, and connections
- Gain exposure in the media industry and benefit from media coverage
- The startup must offer an innovative product or service to newsrooms
- The startup must have been founded no earlier than 2013
- The startup must have received less than €1m in external funding
Many thanks to our partners: